[Mailman-Users] Delevery disabled box checked

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun May 21 22:51:20 CEST 2006

Gary Hall wrote:

>I never "disabled" any of the members of this "closed" list. You can sub
>and unsub, but that is all. There isn't a digest either.
>
>This is strictly a one-way mailing, from me to them.
>
>I know that some are disabled because I have seen the boxes checked, but
>I didn't do it.
>
>I checked with FAQ 2.1 and it said in part, "You can disable delivery to
>an address by going to the personal options page for that address and
>setting "Mail delivery" to "disabled".
>
>Should I be so bold and delete these?

Why do you have a problem with that statement? Or do you mean "delete
the users with disabled delivery"?

On the admin Membership list page, in addition to the check box, there
is a reason

[B] = by bounce
[U] = from the user's options page or email command
[A] = by the admin from the membership page
[?] = pre-Mailman 2.1 when reasons weren't kept.

The fact that you (the admin) didn't disable anyone's delivery doesn't
mean it wasn't done by bounce processing or by the user herself.

If delivery is disabled by bounce, the user will normally be
automatically unsubscribed by bounce processing after being sent
bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings warning messages at intervals of
bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings_interval. So you don't need to remove
the user.

If delivery is disabled by the user, presumably the user had a reason
(vacation, whatever) for disabling delivery rather than unsubscribing,
so you probably don't want to remove the user.