[Mailman-Users] mailman + exim, no mail to owners

John W. Baxter jwblist at loricamail.com
Thu May 18 19:10:34 CEST 2006

On 5/18/06 9:26 AM, "Anne Ramey" <anne.ramey at ncmail.net> wrote:

> I've just switched over from sendmail to exim because of how well it
> (supposedly) works with mailman, but now none of my owner posts are
> going through...thus owners are not getting their notifications of
> pending posts, etc.
>
> It's happening for all my lists.  This is what's in the mailman logs:
> May 18 11:43:51 2006 (1956) post to escml.field.all from
> listname at lists.ncmail.net, size=5185,
> message-id=<mailman.277.1147878675.1789.listname at lists.ncmail.net>, 2
> failures
> And there is nothing in the exim log.
>
> Since the message are getting to mailman, I don't think it's a problem
> with exim delivering the message to mailman, but there seems to be some
> error in processing the data.  They just keep sitting in the retry
> queue.  I'm not sure what to try next, please advise.

If you mean "there is nothing in the Exim log" literally, then either you've
turned off all logging in Exim--I'm not sure that's possible--or you're
looking in the wrong place for the Exim log.  At the least, there should be
evidence of the message being delivered to Mailman.

If you mean "there is nothing in the Exim log related to the messages
Mailman should be sending," then my best guess would be that Exim is not
accepting port 25 connections from localhost (assuming Exim on the same
machine).

You could try, on the Mailman machine,
telnet localhost 25

That should be rejected, timed out, or responded to with Exim's banner.  If
you get a banner, next issue the
quit
command.

Let us on the list know what happens, and we'll have a chance to work
through this further.

  --John (whose list address will shortly change to jwblist3 at olympus.net)