[Mailman-Users] odd little issues

Carconni carconni at earthlink.net
Thu May 11 20:57:26 CEST 2006

Hi,

We just migrated to mailman not to long ago and while I love it as the administrator my users are not pleased at this time.  I've got some strange issues that I haven't been able to work out and I'm hoping someone here can help.

I've done some googling and I've read quite a bit but for some reason I'm having trouble understanding what I need to do to resolve these issues.  I apologize in advance for asking what may seem to be "old" questions:

1.Most of my lists allow anyone to post with no explicit destination required

generic_nonmember_action = accept
require_explicit_destination = no
emergency moderation = no
default_member_moderation = no

yet I occasionally receive requests for an approval for posts by non-members.  This is really bad since these are our customers.  What else could be causing this to happen?  What can I do to ensure that emails sent from certain domains (ie, that of my customers) are automatically accepted?

2.<sigh> I've seen this around but I need to fix it:

I have Outlook users.  They are receiving empty attachments when receiving mail from mailman.  As they love to point out,  "this wasn't a problem with the old mail server" (to which I respond - "yeah - you didn't get any mail at all - but I guess we all forget the bad times")

Anyway - they do get the message in the body but they get this crazy empty attachment and it's driving them nuts.  Now removing HTML is not an option since a lot of our reports are sent this way.  (My VP of Engineering has already made this clear).  So I tried deleting the footer data thinking maybe this was the culprit but that didn't help.  Exactly what do I need to do to prevent this attachment from being sent out from our lists?  I don't know how to completely remove the footer but I don't know if that's actually causing the problem.

3.Is there any administrative interface that allows me to address all pending requests for all lists with out having to go through each and every list admin individually?  Lately my mailman server has been sending me approval requests but when I go to the individual list admin there are no posts waiting for approval.  I've noticed that many of "these requests" have a dash "-" proceeding the subject line.

for ex: From:   expuk-reports-bounces at corp-admin.corp.com Subject: -1 Expuk-reports moderator request(s) waiting

However, when I go to the admin interface to approve the request, there is none.

I get one for every list we have on this system.  We have well over a hundred lists on this server and a couple of hundred on the other.

I appreciate your assistance and patience