[Mailman-Users] Current stump (newbie)

William D. Tallman wtallman at olypen.com
Tue May 9 02:57:08 CEST 2006

On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 05:06:08PM -0500, Patrick Bogen wrote:
> On 5/8/06, William D. Tallman <wtallman at olypen.com> wrote:
> >Thanks for this response; it verified my suspicions and pointed me to
> >the presumed source of the problem: the ISP.
>
> (Disclaimer, or un-disclaimer: I don't work for these people, but I
> lease a server from them and have had pretty good service and
> reliability for the week or two I've had the thing)
>
> A much cheaper solution than the one your ISP offers would be to rent
> a virtual server. The best deal I've found is from www.vpsland.com --
> for $12/mo., you get 100GB of transfer and a virtual linux box that
> should be more than beefy enough to run mailman, and perhaps any other
> low-impact tasks you wish to assign to it. The upshot is that you'll
> never have to deal with an evil ADSL company for your mailing lists,
> etc; however, you will have to maintain your own fully-fledged mail
> server, which may be a daunting task for the uninitiated.
>
> --
> - Patrick Bogen

This is an interesting option.  Sounds better than having one's one
machine vulnerable, I think.  I could run a web server as well, and then
Mailman would have the opportunity to be completely functional.  I think
that's the best idea.  Book-marked their site for future reference.

That said, I could have a static IP address for $10/mo. extra, but that
would leave me vulnerable at any and all open ports (router/modem
becomes an effective bridge for those ports when its configured to allow
traffic to them.  IIUC, that is).

Re, evil ADSL companies:  Yep, we got Quest.  My local ISP has a deal
with them, and the service was pretty spotty until I bitched loud enough
that they came out and put a battery in the mini-DSLAM.  Talk about
incompetent!  So far, though, it's been pretty good; they've got
competition (at least for aDSL).

In any case, this was supposed to be just a learning experience with the
possibility of something functional if I wanted it.  As I really don't
have a current use for a list server, I think I'll limit the project at
this point.  Mailman > /dev/null.

I'd like to take this opportunity, however, to thank you folk for the
tons of information you make available, and for your courteous and
substantial responses.  I can say that if at any time in the future I
need to set up something myself, I now have the basic knowledge tools to
do so.  At which point, "Ah'll be back!"

Thanks for reading,

Bill Tallman