[Mailman-Users] mbox archive file management patch

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Mon May 8 11:05:14 CEST 2006

A while back I implemented a patch for MM which addressed the problem
of managing large list mbox archive files and have been using it
without problems for around 2 years. I have kept the patch up-to-date
but barring passing a copy to one other user have not distributed the
patch until now.

Being stuck at home with nothing interesting to do last weekend I
finally got around to packaging the patch for distribution and use
with MM 2.1.8. The patch description reads as follows:

<quote>
The daily mbox patch changes the way Mailman does its archive-to-mbox
archiving, if that is enabled.

The standard Mailman system single .mbox file per list used for mbox
archiving can, over time, become very unwieldy, presenting problems
for disk space management.

The mailman daily mbox patch modifies Mailman's behaviour so that a
sparse series of daily mbox files is used for archiving rather than a
single mbox file. Each archived message is normally appended to a
daily mbox file for the UTC date when the message is first archived.
</quote>

If the patch is of interest to anybody it can be downloaded from
sourceforge or my own web site:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?
func=detail&aid=1483446&group_id=103&atid=300103
http://www.openinfo.co.uk/mm/patches/dailymbox/index.html

The patch file adds a file to the MM build directory called
README.dailymbox which should be read before installing the patched
code. The same information is on the dailymbox/index.html page of my
web site

Let me know if you have any problems with the patch.

Regards

Richard