[Mailman-Users] Getting duplicates when people CC list

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at gmail.com
Mon May 1 03:45:41 CEST 2006

On 4/30/06, Tony G <4ylyh9g02 at sneakemail.com> wrote:

> Over the last month or two I have been going over the headers myself and
> the headers on each copy of the mails are exactly the same: same Received
> path and time stamps, and same Message-ID (!!).  The only pattern between
> what generates dupes and what does not is that the list address is in the
> CC of duped mails - but only on that list, not in this mailman-users list.
> :(
>
> Please allow me a few days to pursue the MTA route and I'll post a note
> here to let you know if I find anything.  Based on your comments and info
> from the other list I'm fairly convinced that I shouldn't be wasting any
> more of your collective time.  But I will let you know what I find out.
>
> Thank you kindly for your dedicated interest.

I haven't been following this thread too carefully, but a couple of
things clicked together based on some duplicate issues I've seen with
my users.

Just to recap the details as I recall them

1) You are the only one seeing the duplicate e-mails
2) You are using Outlook.
3) Duplicate e-mails are idendical down to the header level.
4) Only happens on 1 list.
5) Only happens when the list is in the CC header.

If all the above are correct, check your Outlook rules. Outlook may be
the cause of the duplicates.

I've spent a TON of time trying to diagnose this for one user and it
turned out it was her Outlook rules that caused the duplicate.

I don't use Outlook myself, but try disabling the rule for a while and
see if the duplicates still happen. If not, then recreate the rule.

I know this isn't Mailman related, but I think that this may be a good
cause for the archive.

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at gmail.com
shouting "What a great ride!"