[Mailman-Users] There currently are no publicly-advertised Mailmanmailing lists

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Mar 17 05:13:18 CET 2006

Travis Derouin wrote:

>I get the standard
>
>   Error: You are not authorized to create new mailing lists
>
>error when trying to create a new list through the browser, despite
>setting the both the site password and list creator password to
>something simple like abc123 with mmsitepass.

You're not the first person to complain of this, but I don't have an
answer.

>I did go through that FAQ a few times today, and tried out the
>different suggestions. Even creating a new list from the command line
>has the same problems after changing mm_cfg.py to include the 2
>hostname specifications. It's odd because in my current installation
>I'm just using the usual hostname for the server, with no virtual
>hosts involved.

Did you run fix_url on your existing lists?

>Do you have any debugging suggestions? Should I possibly add some
>logging statements to listinfo.py at around line 104 and recompile ?

First run bin/dumpdb on a lists/listname/config.pck and see what the
value of the web_page_url attribute is.

Then, if the list is advertised and the host portion of the url you are
accessing the listinfo page with matches the host portion of
web_page_url, the list should appear on the listinfo overview.

>There doesn't seem to be any indicitive messages in the logs. Is there
>also any reason why tarring up an existing working mailman
>configuration and swapping hostnames/DNS records might not work
>either?

If DNS, etc. is changed so that the installation on the new host is
accessed with the same names as before, it should work as before.