[Mailman-Users] How to migrate a 300 list majordomo to Mailman?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Mar 15 01:43:52 CET 2006

Nicoll, Alan wrote:

>I have 300 very small lists in majordomo (that is giving me problems)
>that I'm trying to migrate to Mailman.  I, obviously, don't want to
>manually recreate those lists.  They are all announce only; my bug
>tracking system uses them to send notifications to subsystem owners and
>developers.  I run on Solaris 9 and the lists are ascii files with CR
>delimited email addresses in them.  We have Mailman installed and
>working and I've read the FAQ on how to create announce only lists so I
>think I can configure them correctly once I get them created.
>
>Is there a way to import the lists into Mailman?

I would create one list and tweak it via the web interface to get it
the way I wanted and then write it's configuration to a file with the
bin/config_list Mailman command line tool.

Then I would create a shell or similar script to loop over the list
names and run the following

bin/newlist        to create the list
bin/config_list    to configure it from the file created above, and
bin/add_members    to import the members from the list's <CR> delimited,
                   ascii email address file.