[Mailman-Users] Create new list fails - unknown virtual host...

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Mar 12 16:57:03 CET 2006

Andre Tann wrote:

>when trying to create a new list through the web interface, Mailman
>says "unknown virtual host: mailsrv".
>"mailsrv" is the name of the local machine. I can't find which
>setting is wrong - can someone give me a hint?
>
>I have set in my mm_cfg.py:
>
>[...]
>DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'domain.net'
>DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'www.domain.net'
>MTA = 'Postfix'
>SMTPHOST = 'localhost'
>SMTPPORT = '25'
>add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
>VIRTUAL_HOSTS = {'mailsrv.domain.lan':'domain.lan'}

The above line overrides all previous add_virtualhost lines. It sets
the VIRTUAL_HOSTS dictionary to have the one entry
{'mailsrv.domain.lan':'domain.lan'}, thus even the DEFAULT* entry is
gone. If you want it at all, it should probably be

add_virtualhost('mailsrv.domain.lan', 'domain.lan')

but see below.

>[...]
>

>Where:
>
>- the host where Mailman is running on is _not_ the MX for
>domain.net, but it is linked to the MX by a fetchmail link.
>
>- mailsrv.domain.lan is the name of the host where Mailman is
>running on
>
>- domain.lan is the local domain
>

>What to do?

Are you trying to support virtual hosting where lists in the
'www.domain.net' domain are separate from lists in the
'mailsrv.domain.lan' domain? It seems more likely, that you are just
trying to set things up so you can access and administer the same
lists from both inside and outside the lan.

The way to do this is to just have the one add_virtualhost for the
default names and set up your network so that the external names work
from inside.

In any case, your immediate issue may be that with your current or any
similar setup, you have to access the web create page as
http:/mailsrv.domain.lan/..., i.e., with a fully qualified domain
name, not as http:/mailsrv/...

I think what you want to do in mm_cfg.py is remove

VIRTUAL_HOSTS = {'mailsrv.domain.lan':'domain.lan'}

and add

VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW = Off