[Mailman-Users] How to start a new list?

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Sat Mar 4 21:47:16 CET 2006

At 7:11 PM +0100 2006-03-04, Henrik Stromberg wrote:

>  I do not have an own server and do not want to have my computer running all
>  the time so I guess the best would be to create a list on some existing
>  Mailman installation of some service provider. Is there any information
>  available how to find one?

	There is a partial list of Python/Mailman providers in FAQ 1.17
at
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.017.htp>,
but such a list can only ever be partial -- there's always going to
be some providers who used to do things and got on the list but no
longer do them, some new providers who didn't used to provide certain
services but now do and yet still aren't on the list, etc....

	On this topic, this page is the best starting point that we know of.

>                             And in case I find a provider where lists can be
>  run, HOW do I start one?

	A lot is going to depend on the specific provider and how their
software is set up.

	For many providers, I would expect that they won't actually give
you the rights and privileges necessary to actually create new lists
yourself.  Instead, in all likelihood you will to contact them and
tell them what kind of list you want and what you want the name to
be, and they will do the basic work for you.

	From there, they will give you the admin URL and password
necessary so that you can configure your list in the way you want.

>  I would like to point out that I could not find this very basic information
>  at the page
>  http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/index.html
>  and think that this should be improved in order to spread the message about
>  the lists.

	That's because there are too many variables in this process.
I've outlined only the most basic process above.  If you actually run
Mailman on your own server, the process will be more complex.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755