[Mailman-Users] Bounce issues with Yahoo

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed Mar 1 23:55:12 CET 2006

At 4:04 PM -0600 2006-03-01, Patrick Bogen wrote:

>  Integrating spam detection into mailman is actually quite easy- once
>  your MTA is configured for it.

	That's one way to do it, yes.  However, the FAQ does detail other
methods that can also be used, as well as MTA integration.

>                                  That is an MTA issue, not a mailman
>  issue.

	Don't blindly discount alternative methods just because you have
a personal preference for a particular technique yourself.

	I personally believe that the MTA integration method is superior,
but I accept that there are plenty of other people out there who
might feel different -- and that's why the FAQ discusses multiple
methods.

>>  Well, let's just say that I found the list to be pretty lame. You made
>>  the only constructive comment, thanks.

	Greg -- There were some lame comments, yes.  However, please
don't tar all of us with the brush you've constructed based on the
feedback of a small number of people who have responded so far.

	OTOH, there is a FAQ Wizard, and there are searchable archives.
Before posting questions like this to the list, it would help
everyone if you searched those before posting here.

>  And to be fair, I consider most of the other comments constructive; it
>  is often better/easier to fix a policy problem than to fix the way
>  that mailman works.

	Mailman can be difficult to fix, yes.  And sometimes it doesn't
necessarily work as well as we would like.  But we go well out of our
way to try to ensure that each admin can have Mailman work the way
they want (more or less), even though some admins will choose one way
and other admins will choose another.

	This is why we have a configuration file.

>                       In all fairness, your comment about your years of
>  experience was the first rude thing.

	Given the circumstances, I didn't see it as being overly rude.
He was dealing with the rude responses that he was getting, and
trying to get people to focus on answering the question that was
asked.

	As someone with over twenty years experience with Unix and over
fifteen years of experience as a professional Unix systems
administrator, specializing in Internet e-mail (among other things),
and having been the first Internet Mail Operations person hired by
AOL and responsible for technical leadership in growing their
Internet Mail Operations group by over a factor of 1000 in terms of
hardware and load handled, I can understand that.

>                                        It doesn't really do to ask for
>  help and then beat us over the head with your qualifications because
>  you don't want to hear the particular suggestions.

	True enough, but he's not the only person guilty of doing so.  In
his defense, he was being attacked, and although he could have chosen
better ways of handling that, the method he did choose wasn't that
excessively bad.

>                                                      When you ask for
>  help, you are throwing yourselves on our mercy, as it were- any pride
>  you may have should be long out the window.

	True enough.  We would all be better served by remembering this.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755