[Mailman-Users] Digest subscription without password

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Jun 26 23:55:28 CEST 2006

Rob Jackson wrote:

>So far I have have got this to work with the -request, but only if I supply
>a password.  It wil not work with -subscribe at all for digest mode.  On the
>-request, if I supply a password, the user will have the digest bit set.  If
>I do not set the password, the digest bit will not be set.
>
>This is not working for me:
>
>>subscribe [$<$PASSWORD$>$] [digest|nodigest] [address=$<$ADDRESS$>$]

This is a fundamental flaw in the design of the request. There is no
syntactic way to tell whether

subscribe digest

is a request to subscribe in digest mode with a generated password or a
request to subscribe in default mode with a password of 'digest'. Of
course, we could disallow 'digest' and 'nodigest' as passwords and
assume they must be modes, but no one has done that fix.

That's a problem in general with positional options.