[Mailman-Users] new install/email confirmation not working

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Jun 23 18:45:11 CEST 2006

Christopher Adams wrote:

>On the new server, I have installed Mailman, run 'configure' and 'make
>install'. I have restarted Postfix and Mailman.
>
>I have set up a new list and received email confirmation. I can add myself
>as a subscriber via the web interface and get an email confirmation.
>
>If I try to subscribe via email, nothing happens. The log files don't show
>any email activity related to that transaction.
>
>I have tried running configure with mail gid= postdrop, since that is what
>Postfix was compiled to run under. That didn't work, so I have tried mail
>gid = mailman and mail gid = postfix. The results are always the same.

It doesn't seem the mail is getting even that far. Do you have MTA =
'Postfix' in mm_cfg.py? Have you added path/to/data/aliases to
Postfix's alias_maps? See
<http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node13.html>.

Note that Postfix will deliver to Mailman with owner:group of the
aliases.db file it finds the aliases in. This is normally group
'mailman' for data/aliases*, so for Postfix, you normally want
--with-mail-gid=mailman which is included in the default for configure.

What is in the Postfix logs for mail to Mailman?

>I installed Mailman as myself and I am a member of the Mailman group with
>permissions to write to that directory. Consequently, the directories and
>files have permissions Owner:Me, Group: Mailman. I ran check_perms and there
>don't seem to be any problems.

It's the group that's important. The above seems OK.