[Mailman-Users] [Fwd: Mailman User options page]

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Jun 17 00:17:31 CEST 2006

Martin Dennett wrote:

>Is there any way I can amend the HTML behind the page to force a field
>to be made mandatory? I'm thinking of the name field - once a user
>enters their options page, I would like them not to be able to leave it
>until they have filled their name in. I know it could be circumvented by
>just closing the browser window, but most of the users of my list
>wouldn't think of that ;-)

The template for the user options page, named options.html, can be
edited as described at
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.048.htp>,
or it can be edited per list via the "Edit the public HTML pages and
text files" link on the web admin pages, but I suspect you're wanting
to edit the actual HTML generated by the <mm-fullname-box> tag.

This is somewhat tricky as that tag generates the entire 'input' tag
for that entry in the form including the current value of 'fullname'.
You can't just replace the <mm-fullname-box> tag in the template with
whatever HTML you want because then you'd lose the current value to
pre-fill the box, so you have to actually edit the code in
Mailman/Cgi/Options.py to provide the replacement you want, and if
you're going to edit Options.py, you might as well just edit it to
require the full name be provided.