[Mailman-Users] new users get welcome e-mails but posts aren'tgoing out

Peter Tattersall ptatters at zerobyzero.ca
Fri Jun 16 05:13:33 CEST 2006

On 15-Jun-06, at 10:28 PM, Larry Stone wrote:

> On 6/15/06 7:35 PM, John W. Baxter at jwblist3 at olympus.net wrote:
>
>> netstat -ln -p tcp
>> works in Mac OS X.  One should expect to see either 0.0.0.0.25
>> (Postfix
>> listening on all active addresses), or 127.0.0.1.25 (which the
>> experiment
>> using localhost showed is working) plus at least one other suitable IP
>> address.25
>
> Not so fast. I have postfix running on my Macintosh and my output of
> netstat
> -ln -p tcp shows nothing for port 25.

I have the identical setup. netstat -ln -p tcp doesn't show sockets. Try
     netstat -al -p tcp
which will does. I get something like this:

tcp4       0      0  *.submission           *.*
LISTEN
tcp4       0      0  *.smtp                 *.*
LISTEN
tcp46      0      0  *.ssh                  *.*
LISTEN
tcp4       0      0  *.23052                *.*
LISTEN
tcp4       0      0  *.*                    *.*
CLOSED
tcp4       0      0  *.ipp                  *.*
LISTEN
tcp4       0      0  *.*                    *.*
CLOSED
tcp4       0      0  *.svrloc               *.*
LISTEN
tcp4       0      0  *.*                    *.*
CLOSED
tcp4       0      0  *.*                    *.*
CLOSED
tcp4       0      0  *.afpovertcp           *.*
LISTEN
tcp46      0      0  *.afpovertcp           *.*
LISTEN
tcp4       0      0  *.printer              *.*
LISTEN
tcp4       0      0  *.pop3s                *.*
LISTEN
tcp4       0      0  *.pop3                 *.*
LISTEN
tcp4       0      0  *.imaps                *.*
LISTEN
tcp4       0      0  *.imap                 *.*
LISTEN

which shows something is listening on smtp and submission (ports 25 and
587). If you use
    netstat -aln -p tcp
you get the port numbers instead of the services.

How did you set up postfix? Do you have the mailman alias setup? If you
are using postfix enabler, you should have something like
     alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases,
hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases
entered under Custom Postfix properties in the Mail Server pane.

Peter Tattersall
http://www.zerobyzero.ca/Weathertop/
http://www.zerobyzero.ca/Starstruck/
L'Osservatore Ponte di Legno