[Mailman-Users] List owner not getting bounce notifications

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Jun 10 18:02:14 CEST 2006

KENNEY, William P. (Info. Tech. Services) wrote:

>This is a new list, so there haven't been many deliveries. The owner
>added the users herself and needs to know if anyone is actually
>receiving the mail from the list. She hasn't gotten anything from the
>server.
>
>When she asked if I could tell if the messages were being transmitted I
>had just received 4 smtp failure notifications as root on the system.
>Since her list has more than 4 users, I have to believe the rest went
>out.

Were these for 4 different addresses or 4 notices for 1 address. If
four different addresses, that modifies the details of what I say
below, but not the important message.

Anyway, from Mailman's point of view, the message 'went out' to all
recipients (unless there is some error in Mailman's 'smtp-failure' log
which I doubt), and subsequently, Mailman was notified that 4 messages
were not delivered to 1 recipient, or 1 message was not delivered to 4
recipients, or 2 messages were not delivered to 2 recipients, or ??

>I told her to add me to the list and send a test message out. If I
>receive it I'll know the system is working, if not I'll check with the
>network group to see if they have changed anything in the firewall.

Look in Mailman's 'bounce' log. You should see bounces recorded for the
four notices you received.

If so, after the 5th bounce for that user, the member's delivery will
be disabled and the owner will receive a 'disabled' notice with a copy
of the bounce, and after three weeks (and three notices to the
member), the member will be removed from the list and the owner will
be notified of that too.

You can also look in Mailman's 'smtp' log and see that posts are being
sent.

It seems as if posts are being sent to the entire list and one member
is bouncing. Ultimately, there is no way to know if the other members
are receiving the mail or not, but at least you know it is being
accepted by some remote SMTP server, and bounces are not being
returned.