[Mailman-Users] List owner not getting bounce notifications

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Jun 10 16:53:47 CEST 2006

KENNEY, William P. (Info. Tech. Services) wrote:

>The owner is not receiving any notifications

Does the owner receive other notifications that might be enabled. I.e.
notifications of subscribe/unsubscribe, held messages, etc.?

>The owner address is correct
>
>The following is a smtp admin error:
>
>*******************
>The following recipient(s) could not be reached:
>
>      leb15 at psu.edu on 6/9/2006 10:52 AM
>            The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this
>message was sent to.  Check the e-mail address, or contact the recipient
>directly to find out the correct address.
>            < ecsulsvr.easternct.edu #5.1.1 SMTP; 550 5.1.1
><leb15 at psu.edu>... User unknown

>the address.
>
>The numeric values on the bounce processing page are default, all no/yes
>values are set to yes.

Owners do not receive notifications of recognized individual bounces.
Owners are only notified (if requested) when a bounce is unrecognized
or a member is disabled due to bounce or ultimately unsubscribed due
to bounce.

Check Mailman's 'bounce' log to see if the bounces are being recorded.
If so, and if this has been going on for some time without the member
being disabled, consider adjusting the numeric settings to prevent
bounce info from going stale on this list.

It is also possible that VERP probes are enabled and there is an issue
with delivery to VERP-like addresses in your system. In this case, you
will see entries like "sending <listname> list probe to: <address>
(score 5.0 >= 5.0)" in the bounce log, followed by a reset of the
bounce score, but no disable. If this is the case, see the thread
"VERP active where it shouldn't" starting at
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2006-June/051402.html>
for additional information.