[Mailman-Users] Config Prob. Can't Send or Receive Mail

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Jun 7 16:31:04 CEST 2006

Jesse Lee wrote:

>When I sent a mail to list, the exim mainlog showed below:
>-----------------
>2006-06-07 05:15:27 1FnqO7-0002oA-5V **
>mylist at lists.mysite.orgR=mailman_router T=mailman_transport: Child
>process of mailman_transport
>transport returned 2 from command: /usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman

Status 2 is a group mismatch error. I don't know why exim didn't also
return the error message in its failure notice, but basically, the
group that exim is using to invoke the wrapper
(/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman) is not the group the wrapper is
configured to expect.

The exim group is defined in exim.conf as MM_GID if you're following
http://www.exim.org/howto/mailman21.html#exconf - default
MM_GID=mailman.

The expected group was defined by Mailman's configure --with-mail-gid
option - see <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node7.html>.

See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.016.htp>
for a more detailed explanation.