[Mailman-Users] GID mismatch with Postfix on Fedora Core 5 install of mailman RPM

Chris Lawson clawson at jungle.ca
Wed Jul 26 16:56:44 CEST 2006

On Jul 26, 2006, at 6:00 AM, Todd wrote:

> This isn't really an rpm issue.  It's a difference between sendmail
> and postfix.  Postfix will execute the wrapper script using the group
> of the alias file where the wrapper command is defined.

Thank you for taking the trouble to explain something even though
it's written in the docs in various places. I've got it working
thanks to you. In case anyone else has this problem, (recovering from
a sendmail addiction while moving from FC4 to FC5) I'm documenting
what I did to get this working.

> Are your list aliases kept in the system-wide alias file or in a
> mailman-specific alias file?

They were in /etc/aliases (the system-wide one). After I got the
postfix-mailman alias file working I did need to remove them from the
system-wide one. It took precedence over the postfix-mailman alias
file, it seems.

> See section "6.1.1 Integrating Postfix and Mailman" in the
> installation manual for complete details.  The manual is available on
> FC5 at:
>
>     /usr/share/doc/mailman-2.1.8/admin/www/mailman-install/

This is a good start, but you also have to read /usr/share/doc/
mailman-2.1.8/INSTALL.REDHAT which tells you the directories mailman
uses in FC5 have changed. Where once they were installed in /usr/
local/mailman, the binaries and what not are now in /usr/lib/mailman

Most importantly, the output of the genaliases command, once you've
changed your mm_cfg.py file to set your MTA = 'Postfix', doesn't go
to /usr/lib/mailman/data/ it goes to /etc/mailman/data/

So postfix's main.cf has to point to /etc/mailman/aliases in addition
to any other alias files you need to parse, the system-wide aliases
file cannot have any mailman list entries in it, and the mm_cfg.py
file (also found in /etc/mailman) has to specify MTA =
'Postfix' (case sensitive).

cmkl
--
Chris Lawson