[Mailman-Users] mail-gid for Postfix install

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Jul 14 20:59:03 CEST 2006

Ki Song wrote:

>When installing mailman (using Postfix as the mail server), what should be
>the mail-gid option? I'm looking at the main.cf file for postfix and the
>setgid-group = postdrop
>
>So, does that mean that when I run the install for mailman, I should set the
>following option:
>
>--with-mail-gid=postdrop
>

>Is that correct? If not, where do I find out what the main-gid should be?

This may or may not be correct. I believe that when postfix finds
mailman aliases in an aliases.db file it will run the pipe as the
user:group that owns the file. If you have configured Mailman/Postfix
integration and the aliases are in data/aliases and data/aliases.db,
the group of these files in normally 'mailman' so Mailman should be
configured using --with-mail-gid=mailman (or the default).

I'm not any kind of Postfix expert, so this behavior may depend on
other Postfix configuration settings.