[Mailman-Users] Using the inject script

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Fri Jul 14 00:50:02 CEST 2006

Patrick Bogen sent the message below at 15:30 7/13/2006:
>On 7/13/06, Dragon <dragon at crimson-dragon.com> wrote:
>>Just a quick question about using the inject script to put a message
>>in a list queue...
>>
>>What exactly is the inject script expecting? As in what exactly is
>>the format of the file that gets fed into it?
>
>pdbogen at vmmail:~$ /usr/lib/mailman/bin/inject
>Inject a message from a file into Mailman's incoming queue.
>
>Usage: inject [options] [filename]

>    -h / --help
>        Print this text and exit.
>
>    -l listname
>    --listname=listname
>        The name of the list to inject this message to.  Required.
>
>    -q queuename
>    --queue=queuename
>        The name of the queue to inject the message to.  The queuename must be
>        one of the directories inside the qfiles directory.  If omitted, the
>        incoming queue is used.
>
>filename is the name of the plaintext message file to inject.  If omitted,
>standard input is used.
>
>A list name is required
>

>So, inject --listname=<list> <file>

Yeah, that part I got.

It's not the usage I am concerned with, I can issue the command and
it seems to accept the file, but then nothing seems to happen. The
message definitely does not get delivered to the intended list.

My specific question was about what should be in the file that gets injected.

So far it doesn't work with the variations in format I have tried so
I am not sure what I am missing here.

><file> should be just an email in a text file.. I.e.,
>From: user at host
>To: <listname>@<listhost>
>Subject: Foo
>
>etc. All of the necessary headers. If your mail client has a way to
>export a mail, it's that format. AKA, .eml, I guess. Refer to the SMTP
>specifications for details on this, perhaps.

I tried what I thought was a reasonable approximation of the needed
headers, essentially I added something like this (followed by the two
blank lines required for the mail format):