[Mailman-Users] split Yahoo DomainKey-Signature problem

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Jul 11 19:12:50 CEST 2006

Georg Koch wrote:

>Messages from members @yahoo arrive here with a split
>DomainKey-Signature header, like this:

>  s=s1024; d=yahoo.co.uk;
>

>h=Message-ID:Received:Date:From:Subject:To:Cc:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding;
>

>b=Uc/ihJik20W+F4B1kI03/P7ZnZPQ3vrXKZfXUuiBydSKcRvO3PmKbR1kuGo1cwT2adlDeX+fFtw89MyS4NRRhtTkHHO1b2aLePh48p1FStbOycsrHfOdnoQ7M2d7EJyrdtZ2Kks9LmX8UQO+yVqVXYSTCFPoGh6lTHbDrNaceWs=
>    ;

Are you sure? I think what you are seeing is an artifact of long line
wrapping by whatever you are using to look at this. Based on messages
I receive from Yahoo, I think the above is actually sent by Yahoo as

  s=s1024; d=yahoo.co.uk;
  h=Message-ID:Received: <middle snipped> Content-Transfer-Encoding;
  b=Uc/ihJik20W <middle snipped> THbDrNaceWs=

IE the header content begins with a=, q=, c= and continues with s= and
d= and continues again with h= and finally with b=

What you are seeing is the long line that begins with two spaces and h=
is wrapped into a line of two spaces followed by the line that begins
h=, and similarly for the line that begins with two spaces and b=.

>Since an empty line divides header from body, other list subscribers see
>an email starting with the second line and all remaining headers
>(apparently no sender and no subject), and attachments are shown
>encoded, since the boundary-definition header field is below the
>DomainKey-Signature. If I manually delete these empty lines from the
>mbox file and rearchive, everything looks fine.
>
>What can I do to get rid of these empty lines before the messages are
>sent out?

Beginning with 2.1.7, Mailman removes the DomainKey-Signature and
DKIM-Signature headers from posts, but if you are actually seeing
empty lines in posts and the archive .mbox files that stop the headers
at that point, then I think something must be munging the message
before it gets to Mailman. I could be mistaken, but I don't think
Mailman itself, even 2.1.5, will do this.