[Mailman-Users] Changing max_recipients

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Jan 31 01:38:05 CET 2006

Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

>    If I change my SMTP_MAX_RCPTS (in Defaults.py) while something is
>being sent out, is there anyway to have mailman ... uh ... recalculate
>if you will and continue sending where it was, but with the new
>max_recipient number instead of the old one?  Or am I stuck till this
>queue finishes?

Queue may not be the right term here depending on what you mean.
Outgoing runner gets a message from the out queue, calls SMTPDirect
(or whatever the delivery module is, but SMTPDirect is the default and
the only one that uses SMTP_MAX_RCPTS) once to deliver the message to
the recipients which have already been calculated, and waits for
SMTPDirect to return before getting the next message from the out
queue.

Note that a message in the out queue, is one post, admin notice or
whatever. Even if it is going to be VERPed or personalized, there is
only one message in the out queue. It's up to SMTPDirect to
personalize it if it's personalized and send it.

Now here, we're not talking VERPed or personalized messages, because
they are sent one at a time from SMTPDirect to the MTA. Only non
VERPed, non personalized messages, digests, etc. are sent in 'chunks'
with up to SMTP_MAX_RCPTS recipients.

Now, as Brad suggested, if you change SMTP_MAX_RCPTS in mm_cfg.py, the
change won't be seen until you do a 'bin/mailmanctl restart'. If you
do this in the middle of processing a message, the qrunners will
finish what they're doing before reloading. So the change won't affect
a message that is currently being delivered from SMTPDirect to the
MTA. Even if this were not the case, SMTPDirect builds the chunks of
addresses to which it's going to deliver before it begins sending and
doesn't use SMTP_MAX_RCPTS after that.

So the short answer, is no. Once a message has started being delivered
from Mailman to the MTA, you can't change the parameters for the
balance of the delivery.