[Mailman-Users] Newbie question regarding multiple domains with oneMailman installation

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Jan 30 01:42:30 CET 2006

Daniel Spreadbury wrote:

>Apologies if this is covered in the Mailman docs or the FAQs, but I'm having
>problems finding any concrete information.

Searching the FAQ wizard at
for

virtual

will return some relevant information including FAQs 4.29. 4.47 and
4.62.

>I've installed Mailman via the FreeBSD ports collection on my FreeBSD server
>(running 4.7). My MTA is Exim 4.22, and my web server is Apache 1.3.x.

Mailman version? :-)

>I currently have mailman in /usr/local/mailman, and my web server has a
>virtual host at http://lists.dom.ain/ that points at this installation. My
>
>I run a number of different virtual domains from my server, and would like
>to be able to run mailing lists for each of them, but using their domain
>names. I don't care about the limitation that they can't use the same list
>name -- the number of lists will be small, and that's an avoidable problem.

>server?

Either put the Mailman specific alias and scriptalias, etc stuff in
each virtual host section in the web server config, or put it
somewhere where it will apply to all hosts.

Put directives like:

add_virtualhost('dom.ain', 'dom.ain')
add_virtualhost('another.domain','another.domain')

in mm_cfg.py. This assumes you will access the web pages via
http://dom.ain/..., as well as emailing mailing-list-alpha at dom.ain,
i.e., that the web domain and the email domain are the same for the
hosts. If not, the generic form is

add_virtualhost('web.dom.ain', 'email.dom.ain')

Then when you create lists for these domains, they will only appear on
listinfo and admin overview pages accessed from that domain and web
links and email addresses for those lists will all use the list's
domain.

And read the FAQs mentioned above.