[Mailman-Users] Virtual-domain support?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Jan 27 05:38:31 CET 2006

Yes. See <http://www.list.org/todo.html>.

>Why can't Mailman index it's list names such that the domain name is
>associated with the internal list name...thus allowing for the internal
>structure to have the same list name for different domains?

No reason. That's kind of what the patches I referred to in my earlier
post do. I think the patches work by appending the virtual domain to
the list name for internal purposes. It could also be done by adding a
directory level, i.e. instead of lists/name/ use lists/domain/name/
and similarly for archives.

>I suspect the answer:  it's hard because that support was not build into
>the architecture.  And that's a fine answer for me.

I think it's hard because it's hard to get it right everywhere, and the
patches that are out there perhaps address everything that was
important to someone, but not everything that could be important to
anyone.

The other issue is MTA related in that mail to list at one.domain has to
be delivered to Mailman in a way that it can be distinguished from
mail to list at other.domain. I don't know enough about various MTAs to
know how or even if this can be done with all MTAs.

>The followup question (assuming the above answer...which may or may not be
>a fair assumption):  will this architecture ever be changed to remove this
>limitation?

Yes again. I think you'll see it in Mailman 3, but as I'm sure you well
know, I can't give you a timeline for that except to say that it isn't
imminent.