[Mailman-Users] Virtual-domain support?

Matt England mengland at mengland.net
Fri Jan 27 04:29:31 CET 2006

At 1/26/2006 09:09 PM, Jim Popovitch wrote:

>That depends on a few things.  For starters, does your MTA support
>list at domain1.com AND list at domain2.com?

Yes.

>If it does, then you will need to use the virtualization features of your
>MTA to map each list to a unique local email account.

Already done.  vpopmail in qmail already has several different virtual
domains running.

>I.E.: in sendmail this would be the virtusertable where you would map
>list at domain1.com to "list-a" and list at domain2.com to "list-b".  Your
>sendmail aliases file would then contain entires like this:
>  list-a:        "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post list-a"
>  list-a-admin:  "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman admin list-a"
>  list-b:        "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post list-b"
>  list-b-admin:  "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman admin list-b"

sendmail.  ** shudder **

[... rest of stuff deleted, not sure why we are talking about an MTA if
it's a Mailman problem ...but yes, I know how to get my MTA to do this...]

There's a sourceforge task/patch/faq somewhere talking about how this can
be solved, but it required virtual-domain support.

>At this point you can change each Mailman list settings so that emails
>aesthetically appear as from LIST instead of LIST-A or LIST-B (subject
>line, footer, subscription notice, etc).
>
>The real visible issue may arise in URLs that users will use (i.e.
>http://<server>/mailman/list).  You will need to configure your webserver
>to redirect http://domain1.com/mailman/list to
>http://domain1.com/mailman/list-a  AND http://domain2.com/mailman/list to
>redirect to http://domain2.com/mailman/list-b.  I suppose you could also
>use proxy features of Apache to proxy http://domain2.com/mailman/list-b as
>http://domain2.com/mailman/list and the same for list-a.  Shouldn't be too
>difficult.

I don't think I follow.  Why do I need to use different listnames?  TO BE
CLEAR: I want Mailman changed to handle the virtual domains....so that I do
NOT have to bend over backwards to do all the above stuff.

And yes, I'm already managing all the virtual domains in Apache.

>NONE of the above will ever completely hide the real list name from email
>headers, but who really looks at those these days?  :-)

The point is: the REAL list name is associated with a domain, and list
names are no longer represented without their domain name...if an
appropriate fix is made...I hope.  That's the point.  We don't have to make
any "non-real" list names.

I don't want to hodge-podge Mailman.  I want Mailman fixed to support this.

Maybe I'm not understanding what your saying, Jim?  Possibly vice versa?

-Matt