[Mailman-Users] Virtual-domain support?

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 27 04:09:54 CET 2006

Matt England wrote:
> At 1/26/2006 07:47 PM, Jim Popovitch wrote:
>> I run multiple lists with Mailman, been doing so since v1.1 (or was it
>> 1.2?).  Anyway, virtual domains work for me.  What virtual domain
>> problem do you have with recent MM versions?
>
> mylist at domain1.com and mylist at domain2.com (ie, same list name, different
> domains, different lists/reflectors) will not work for the same Mailman
> server...or at least, so I'm told.

That depends on a few things.  For starters, does your MTA support
list at domain1.com AND list at domain2.com?  If it does, then you will need
to use the virtualization features of your MTA to map each list to a
unique local email account.  I.E.: in sendmail this would be the
virtusertable where you would map list at domain1.com to "list-a" and
list at domain2.com to "list-b".  Your sendmail aliases file would then
contain entires like this:
  list-a:        "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post list-a"
  list-a-admin:  "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman admin list-a"
  list-b:        "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post list-b"
  list-b-admin:  "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman admin list-b"

Additionally, using virtualization features of your MTA, you need to
change sender (outbound) addresses so that email from list-a appears as
coming from list-bounces at domain1.com not list-a-bounces at domain1.com.  In
sendmail this is done in genericstable.

At this point you can change each Mailman list settings so that emails
aesthetically appear as from LIST instead of LIST-A or LIST-B (subject
line, footer, subscription notice, etc).

The real visible issue may arise in URLs that users will use (i.e.
http://<server>/mailman/list).  You will need to configure your
webserver to redirect http://domain1.com/mailman/list to
http://domain1.com/mailman/list-a  AND http://domain2.com/mailman/list
to redirect to http://domain2.com/mailman/list-b.  I suppose you could
also use proxy features of Apache to proxy
http://domain2.com/mailman/list-b as http://domain2.com/mailman/list and
the same for list-a.  Shouldn't be too difficult.

NONE of the above will ever completely hide the real list name from
email headers, but who really looks at those these days?  :-)

Hth,

-Jim P.