[Mailman-Users] Determine List Bandwidth

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 20:15:37 CET 2006

On 22/01/06, Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> wrote:
> Bryan Carbonnell
> >
> >Again, let me know if you see any way this can be improved.
>
> I haven't looked in great detail, but here are some random thoughts I
> have on the subject for your consideration.
>
> If you rotate logs on your system, you may need to concatenate the two
> most recent logs to be sure you have all the info for one day.

Good point. Hadn't thought of that, but surely would have been bitten :)

> If you have digest members, you may or may not be concerned that the
> digest may not be sent until the 'next day'. Also, if a post is

At this point, I'm not. I'm just after a ballpark, so I can convince
the powers that be to drop the Max message size for a specific list I
maintain. Not enough snipping and too much top posting :(

> scrubbed for the digest, it may be significantly smaller than the size
> in the post log.

So if I understand what you just wrote, the size in the post log is
what comes to Mailman before it gets scrubbed?

> You could match message id's from the post log with the smtp log to get
> the exact number of recipients without counting members, but this will
> only get the message recipients, not digest. You can see digests in
> the smtp log, but not how big or even for what list

Hmm sounds like too much work for what I need the info for :)

> >Also, is there someplace on Sourceforge that I can post this, so that
> >everyone can "enjoy" it too?
>
> You can post it to the Mailman patches tracker. See
> <http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1123383&group_id=103&atid=300103>
> for an example of a different script with a different purpose to see
> how this works.

Thanks, I will eventually put it up there.

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at gmail.com
shouting "What a great ride!"