[Mailman-Users] Hello and newbie question(s)

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 03:56:52 CET 2006

On 14/01/06, J. Horton <jeremy at lexpublib.org> wrote:

> and running (though empty).   Problem is, I'd like to set the same
> bounce processing variables for each list, without having to go into
> the web interface to each individually (a huge time killer).
>
> Is there anyway to do this kind of work globally via the command
> line?  Here are the configurations I would like to try and do all at
> one time, and I was wondering not only how to type the command, but
> also how to enter the values (whether integer or Yes/No):

I use a shell script with a config file to do things like this.

The shell scripts (mm_cfg_change) is:

#!/bin/bash
# To use this script, change the variable in mm_cfg_change.dat to the
# variable you want changes and the new value you want to assign it
for i in $( /var/mailman/bin/list_lists -b); do
    /var/mailman/bin/config_list -i ./mm_cfg_change.dat $i
done

and the config file mm_cfg_change.dat hold a single line with the
variable and value:

max_days_to_hold=2

Then all you have to do is change the .dat file and not worry about
messing up the shell script.

To run the changes just use
./mm_cfg_change
and away it goes.

> Also, I have yet to import email addresses into these 120 individual
> lists.  I have, however, separated all the lists into individual text
> files ("countyX.txt", "countyY.txt", etc.)  Is there a way (again) to
> do this import via the command line (thus bypassing the web interface?)

I would imagine that this could be done in a similar fashion, but I've
nver done this before so ican't offer any advice.

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at gmail.com
shouting "What a great ride!"