[Mailman-Users] Odd CGI problem

matt at giampapa.com matt at giampapa.com
Sun Jan 15 02:40:49 CET 2006

Ok,

I'm installing mailman on FreeBSD 6.0 from ports and using apache 2.0.55.
I have the following in the virtual host definition.

    ScriptAlias /mailman/ "/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/"
    ScriptAlias /pipermail/ "/usr/local/mailmain/archives/public/"
    <Directory "/www/lists/mailman">
        AllowOverride None
        Options Indexes FollowSymLinks ExecCGI
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Directory>
    <Directory "/www/lists/pipermail">
        AllowOverride None
        Options Indexes FollowSymLinks ExecCGI
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Directory>
    AddHandler cgi-script .cgi

However, when I try to access /mailman/admin or /mailman/listinfo I get
alot of garbage... then this

Mailman CGI error!!!

--with-cgi-gidwebCGImail--with-mail-gid-S%sThe Mailman CGI wrapper
encountered a fatal error. This entry is being stored in your syslog:Group
mismatch error. Mailman expected the %s wrapper script to be executed as
group "%s", but the system's %s server executed the %s script as group
"%s". Try tweaking the %s server to run the script as group "%s", or
re-run configure, providing the command line option `%s=%s'.Failure to
find group name %s. Try adding this group to your system, or re-run
configure, providing an existing group name with the command line option
%s.wwwlistinfodriverMailman cgi-wrapper (listinfo)$FreeBSD:
src/lib/csu/i386-elf/crtn.S,v 1.6 2005/05/19

followed by more garbage.

I have tried setting apache to run as a user instead of nobody, but I stll
get the same thing. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Matt