[Mailman-Users] Shunting msgs.

Thomas von Hassel thomas at elements.dk
Mon Jan 2 13:02:18 CET 2006

Hi

I think i found a solution to my problem at least. On further
inspection the function that produced the error was the one appending
the standard footer. When i remove the footer text in mailman, the
msgs. are deliverd normally

/thomas

On Jan 2, 2006, at 12:48, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Thomas> Hi i have a mailman 2.1.6 installation on freebsd 4.9
>
>     Thomas> Many of the msgs. to my lists are beging shunted with this
>     Thomas> error:
>
>     Thomas> Uncaught runner exception: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte
>     Thomas> 0xe6 in position 18: ordinal not in range(128)
>
> My guess it that you have a lot of users with MUAs that don't conform
> to RFC 822 (let alone RFC 2822), and they are sending non-ASCII in the
> headers.  Mailman doesn't like that.  (Do your users normally use the
> "ae" ligature---ISO-8859-1 value of 0xE6?)
>
>     Thomas> Most of these msgs. are normal, plaintext msgs. Is there a
>     Thomas> way to force these msgs to the list, or is there something
>     Thomas> i could look at so these msgs. don't get shunted.
>
> If it's what I think it is, no.  Mailman 2.1.x simply assumes that
> (raw) headers are not going to contain non-ASCII, period.  *All*
> headers that will display as non-ASCII must be MIME-encoded.
>

> --
> School of Systems and Information Engineering http://
> turnbull.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp
> University of Tsukuba                    Tennodai 1-1-1 Tsukuba
> 305-8573 JAPAN
>                Ask not how you can "do" free software business;
>               ask what your business can "do for" free software.

Thomas von Hassel
thomas at elements.dk

"Foiled in yellow this direction, the lawyer next spoon advised
making the
hot attempt"