[Mailman-Users] Shunting msgs.

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Jan 2 12:48:36 CET 2006

    Thomas> Hi i have a mailman 2.1.6 installation on freebsd 4.9

    Thomas> Many of the msgs. to my lists are beging shunted with this
    Thomas> error:

    Thomas> Uncaught runner exception: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte
    Thomas> 0xe6 in position 18: ordinal not in range(128)

My guess it that you have a lot of users with MUAs that don't conform
to RFC 822 (let alone RFC 2822), and they are sending non-ASCII in the
headers.  Mailman doesn't like that.  (Do your users normally use the
"ae" ligature---ISO-8859-1 value of 0xE6?)

    Thomas> Most of these msgs. are normal, plaintext msgs. Is there a
    Thomas> way to force these msgs to the list, or is there something
    Thomas> i could look at so these msgs. don't get shunted.

If it's what I think it is, no.  Mailman 2.1.x simply assumes that
(raw) headers are not going to contain non-ASCII, period.  *All*
headers that will display as non-ASCII must be MIME-encoded.