[Mailman-Users] Restricting Members Posts

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Feb 26 21:13:49 CET 2006

Michael Rainey wrote:

>I am working with Mailman 2.14 w/CP where I can set mod flag off for self,
>but with to leave mod flag on for all and use "Approved: <password> which I
>am somehow not  doing  or have not set correctly.

Do you mean 2.1.4? If you mean 2.0.14, the only way to do this is with
an actual header. This is still the best way if your MUA allows you to
add custom headers to your message, you add the header

where 'password' is the actual list admin password.

If you are using 2.1.x, you can instead put this line in the message
body as the first non-blank line of the first text/plain part of the
message. It will be effective there and will be removed.

Prior to Mailman 2.1.7, this line should be followed by a blank line as
the following line was erroneously stripped along with the Approved
line.

Also, prior to 2.1.7 the post needed to be plain text as opposed to
multipart/alternative because the Approved line would not be removed
from other than the first text/plain part. Beginning in 2.1.7, an
attempt is made to remove the Approved line from any text/* parts in
which it is found, but it must still be the first non-blank line in
the first text/plain part, or it won't be recognized or removed.

I.e., this method won't work if you post HTML only.