[Mailman-Users] Redirect all -bounce emails

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Feb 24 03:14:28 CET 2006

Tom Kavanaugh wrote:

>I modified the Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py per you suggestions.
>The unix_sysadmin-bounce emails now get redirected to mailman at name.com
>That is the good part.
>
>But what is happening now is that the mailman server keeps spitting out
>these emails to the mailman mail list. Every few minutes I am bomarded with
>these emails from the mailman mail list. The relevant contents are:

You asked how to redirect bounces to the mailman at name.com address (the
posting address for the site list) and that's what's happening.

>Reporting-MTA: dns; utc80.name.com
>Received-From-MTA: DNS; localhost
>Arrival-Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 16:13:39 -0800 (PST)
>
>Final-Recipient: RFC822; unix_sysadmin-bounces at name.com
><unix_sysadmin-bounces at am.necel.com>
>Action: failed
>Remote-MTA: DNS; mailhost.name.com
>Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 550 5.1.1 <unix_sysadmin-bounces at name.com>
><unix_sysadmin-bounces at am.necel.com>... User
>=09unknown
>Last-Attempt-Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 16:13:39 -0800 (PST)
>

>Seems that the mailman server (utc80) is re-trying to send to
>unix_sysadmin-bounces at name.com, although it knows that this is an unknown
>user.

Mailman doesn't know anything about what addresses are or are not
deliverable, and since you have effectively disabled automatic bounce
processing, it can never find out.

My best guess here is that unix_sysadmin-bounces at name.com is a member
of the mailman at name.com list. If that's not it, I don't know what is.
Does that notice contain a copy of the original message? if so, what
is it? Or does it keep growing as the same bounce keeps rebouncing?

This is an interesting issue. Every message from the mailman at name.com
list had better be deliverable or you will get a bounce loop.