[Mailman-Users] Spam check and bounced email's body

Patrick Bogen pdbogen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 06:39:39 CET 2006

If you're using sendmail, I have a solution that I implemented that
seems to work quite well:

Put together a script (e.g., an init script in /etc/init.d, on Debian)
that will run the following on startup:

sendmail OPTIONS="-bd -ODeliveryMode=defer
-ODaemonPortOptions=Name=MSA,Port=3276,M=E,Addr=127.0.0.1

Also, you'll need to adjust your mailman config so that it delivers to
the new port (3276, above). In mm_cfg.py, add:

SMTPPORT = 3276

(If my or your mail client chopped that up, it should be all on one line)

This basically starts a sendmail daemon that listens only to
localhost, and bypasses all filters and stuff to stick whatever it
receives directly in the outgoing queue. If the mail to the admin is
being delivered locally, this means it won't be scanned by
spamassassin at any time.

This also significantly decreased the time it took for a message to
get out to a list, versus having mailman SMTP to the normal sendmail.
Which is understandable, since it means that 90 messages weren't
getting scanned by clamav and spamassassin anymore. :)

- Patrick Bogen

--
- Patrick Bogen