[Mailman-Users] Virtual Servers

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Feb 9 16:09:31 CET 2006

Jon Loose wrote:

>I did what was suggested below...

>>If you now run bin/genaliases, it should create the
>>data/aliases and
>>data/virtual-mailman files containing data for all
>>your lists, and run
>>the postalias and postmap commands to create the .db
>>files.

>yet, mailman created data/aliases, but not
>data/virtual-mailman.  I made a vain attempt with
>"touch virtual-mailman", and then "genalias".  This
>produced a virtual-mailman.db, but throws up errors in
>the mail log because it is empty.

In order for virtual-mailman to be created/updated, you must have a
list of virtual domains in mm_cfg.py like:

POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['domain2', 'domain3']

(see <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/postfix-virtual.html> for
what actually goes in this list - it could be just one domain or two
as above or more), AND you must have one or more Mailman lists with
host_name equal to one of the domains in
POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS. Apparently you don't have both of these
conditions.

>Also, I assume I create a list on the virtual domain
>using newlist listname at domain2 ?

Yes, but contrary to intuition, domain2 in this case must be the URL
host of the list, not the email host unless they are the same.

There are also options in later versions of newlist to specify this
less counter-intuitively. See 'bin/newlist --help'