[Mailman-Users] Mailman log error

Clóvis Tristão clovis at agr.unicamp.br
Fri Feb 3 20:34:46 CET 2006

> Clovis Tristao wrote:
>>
>>I am having problem with one of my Mailman lists, it stopped to function
>>to one lists.
>>This appearing errors and several bounce-events-????.pck, when send
>>e-mail to list.
>

> Errors in the error log? What are they?

Errors sorry, I expressed myself badly.

>>My system:
>>Fedora Core 4
>>mailman-2.1.5-35
>>
>>/var/log/mailman/smtp-failure:
>>Jan 29 05:09:49 2006 (1858) Low level smtp error: Server not connected,
>>msgid: <43DA0C85.6070909 at mydomain.com>
>>Jan 29 05:09:49 2006 (1858) delivery to users at mydomain.com failed with
>>code -1: Server not connected
>

> This was presumably a transient error in communicating with your
> outgoing MTA. You could check your MTA logs for the same time to see
> if there's more info there.
>

>>dir/var/lib/mailman/data :
>>-rw-rw-r--  1 mailman mailman    4335 Fev  3 14:25
>>heldmsg-graduacao-l-95.pck
>>-rw-rw-rw-  1 mailman mailman       0 Fev  3 13:43
>> bounce-events-21966.pck
>>-rw-rw-r--  1 mailman mailman  716831 Fev  3 12:48
>> heldmsg-docentes-l-79.pck
>>-rw-rw-r--  1 mailman mailman   45113 Fev  3 12:45
>>heldmsg-graduacao-l-94.pck
>>-rw-rw-r--  1 mailman mailman   76828 Fev  3 08:58
>> heldmsg-posgrad-l-41.pck
>>-rw-rw-r--  1 mailman mailman   34012 Fev  2 13:52
>> heldmsg-posgrad-l-40.pck
>>-rw-rw-rw-  1 mailman mailman    5645 Fev  1 08:24
>> bounce-events-02358.pck
>>-rw-rw-rw-  1 mailman mailman       0 Jan 30 10:37
>> bounce-events-01858.pck
>>-rw-rw-rw-  1 mailman mailman    1169 Jan 20 14:27
>> bounce-events-02362.pck
>>
>>What they are these archives(held*,bounce*)? I have some archives of
>>bounce?  It's normal?
>

> The BounceRunner queues bounces as they are received and only processes
> them at intervals determined by the Defaults.py/mm_cfg.py setting
> REGISTER_BOUNCES_EVERY which defaults to 15 minutes. The bounces are
> queued in the bounce-events-*.pck files. If the bounce runner is
> stopped or restarted when there is an outstanding file, the file can
> be orphaned and the bounces lost. All the older bounce-events-*.pck
> files are such and can be deleted.
>
> The heldmsg-<listname>-*.pck files are messages for <listname> waiting
> moderator action. When the moderator discards, rejects or approves the
> messages, the files will be removed.

Thanks for your explanation about it.

> None of these things would be responsible for one list not functioning.
>
> In Mailman 2.1.5, it is possible that a malformed message of some kind
> in the lists/<listname>/digest.mbox file can stop a list from
> processing, but there should be 'shunted' messages and tracebacks in
> Mailman's 'error' log if this is the case. What's in the 'error' log?

The stranger is that the message goes for archive of the list but does not
arrive in the members.
I noticed that he has many members(20%) that do not make more part of the
list and in log(MTA) it says that the user is unknown. Can be this the
problem?

> If there is a lists/<listname>/digest.mbox file for the problem list,
> you could try moving it out of the lists/<listname>/ directory and see
> if that allows the list to work. The real solution, if this is the
> problem, is to find the bad message in lists/<listname>/digest.mbox
> and fix or delete it.
>
> --
> Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net>       The highway is for gamblers,

Thanks a lot,