[Mailman-Users] Newbie struggling with add_virtualhosts

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Feb 3 00:45:46 CET 2006

Alan Chandler wrote:

>I want to achieve a situation in which some mailing lists are only visible
>from my external web site, where as others are only visible on my "within
>home" lan
>
>Also, I can appear to be going to an internal web site by creating a port
>forwarded ssh tunnel from localhost:80 to one of my internal web sites port
>80.
>
>Therefore, for a single e-mail domain (mail.home) I want to map several web
>server synonyms to it (www.home, mail.home, roo.home and localhost).
>
>Similarly for my external web site (at www.chandlerfamily.org.uk).
>
>I thought the directives below would achieve this, they don't seem to - in
>particular I get different mailing lists anounced when I visit roo.home and
>mail.home (ie on theri listinfo address).

That's right. See below.

>Its just possible that one of the mailing lists was created by mistake with
>roo.home as its e-mail domain. Could that be the cause of the problem?

No. email host doesn't affect this, only url (web) host

>DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'chandlerfamily.org.uk'
>DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'www.chandlerfamily.org.uk'
>
>#add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST,DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST) This should already be set

Maybe, maybe not. It was set in Defaults.py with the Defaults.py values
of DEFAULT_URL_HOST and DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST. If the assignments above
are different from what's in Defaults.py, the best bet is to put the
following two lines here.

VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()
add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST,DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)

>#Following map internal mail lists to several potential host names
>add_virtualhost('mail.home', 'mail.home')
>add_virtualhost('www.home','mail.home')
>add_virtualhost('roo.home','mail.home')
>#Following done so virtual connection via ssh also works
>add_virtualhost('localhost','mail.home')

This is all OK, but it probably doesn't do what you want. What it does
do is it allows lists to be created in any of the domains
www.chandlerfamily.org.uk, mail.home, www.home, roo.home and localhost
and all of these but the first will have the associated email domain
mail.home.

But, lists created in the mail.home domain for example will only appear
on the mail.home listinfo page; lists in the www.home domain will only

See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.062.htp>
for a more detailed discussion.