[Mailman-Users] Case-Sensitivity Problem?

Ryan Steele steele at agora-net.com
Fri Dec 15 15:15:19 CET 2006

Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 11:35 AM -0500 12/14/06, Ryan Steele wrote:
>
>>  Yes, I realize this.  But, there's no reason for the log to indicate
>>  that <cef.43ab224.32b16b26 at aol.com>
>>  was being considered as an indiscernable address.
>
> That's not quite what happened.  Let's go back to an earlier message,
> where you quoted:
>
>>  And here is a message from Mailman's bounce log:
>>
>>>  Dec 13 09:42:38 2006 (2202) bounce message w/no discernable addresses:
>>>  <cef.43ab224.32b16b26 at aol.com>
>>>  Dec 13 09:42:38 2006 (2202) forwarding unrecognized, message-id:
>>>  <cef.43ab224.32b16b26 at aol.com>
>
> In the case of the first line, it's telling you that some sort of
> message was received to the -bounces address for the list, but it's
> not something that Mailman recognized as a bounce that it could
> parse.  But it did identify the message in question, although it
> didn't specifically use the term "message-id".
>
> In the second line, it did explicitly use the term "message-id", but
> it's still talking about the same message with the same problem, only
> now it's telling you that it's forwarding this message to a human.

Ah, okay.  I guess the fact that it first identified the message-id
implicitly and then explicitly lead me to believe it thought that, in
the case of the first line, it was identifying the indiscernible
address.  Thank you very much for clarifying.

>>                                                     It ought to have
>> been
>>  able to extrapolate the real AOL address of the sender, don't you
>> think?
>
> Whatever happened, I'm sure that Mailman would have been able to
> determine who the claimed sender of the message was.  The problem was
> that, for some reason, it was delivered to the -bounces address for
> the list (as opposed to some other address), and yet it was not
> formatted like any bounce that Mailman knows how to recognize.
>
> The fault here almost certainly is not with AOL per se, nor with
> Mailman.  The fault lies in however a message that was intended to be
> posted to the list was instead somehow delivered to the -bounces
> address, and then dealing with the fallout from that situation.

I appreciate your thorough response.  Thank you for your input!

Ryan

--
Ryan Steele
Systems Administrator               steele at agora-net.com
AgoraNet, Inc.                      (302) 224-2475
314 E. Main Street, Suite 1         (302) 224-2552 (fax)
Newark, DE 19711                    http://www.agora-net.com