[Mailman-Users] Importing outside MHonArc'ed mailing list archives via Pipermail?

Greg Earle earle at isolar.dyndns.org
Fri Dec 15 10:04:17 CET 2006

I'm sure this is a FAQ someplace but couldn't find anything relevant.

I've got an existing Mailman 2.1.9/Pipermail setup with the ht://Dig
integration set up, and several mailing lists using it - all with their
own existing archives using the built-in Pipermail.

I've been asked to take over some mailing lists that are currently
being hosted elsewhere.  I can set up the lists easily enough but
they'd also like me to integrate their archives for these lists as well,
and it turns out they used MHonArc for theirs.  They don't have any
mbox files or anything like that - the archives I was provided are
all per-list directories with all the messages in HTML format already
(so I can't gen a "plain text"/Gzip'ed archive, at the very least),
along with any associated attachments (Word docs as doc*.doc, or
PowerPoint files as ppt*.ppt) and, last but not least, two index files,
"maillist.html" and "threads.html".

I'd like to be able to set up trees for these alongside my existing
Mailman-generated archives, and replace the "maillist.html" and
"threads.html" files with Pipermail-generated versions.  I was
secretly hoping it might be as simple as feeding the directory
containing the *.html files to "Archiver" or "HyperArch" or
"pipermail" - something in /usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Archiver -
but it doesn't seem quite so obvious to me at first glance.

Has anyone trodden down this path before, and is there a simple
way to do this sort of thing?  (Preserving the .doc and .ppt
attachments associations would be a real bonus treat, too)

Thanks in advance,

	- Greg