[Mailman-Users] User unsubscribing

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Dec 14 19:02:50 CET 2006

Alan McConnell wrote:

>On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 09:35:04PM -0600, Brad Knowles wrote:
>> At 6:35 PM -0500 12/13/06, Alan McConnell wrote:
>>
>> > But when I went back to check: there "I" am, still a member.
>> >
>> > My question: how can that happen?
>>
>> The web page may have been cached at a proxy between you and the
>> server, or it may be cached internally to your web browser.  Try
>> doing a forced reload of the page from your web browser, and see if
>> you can figure out whether or not there is a transparent proxy
>> between you and the web server.
>	I turn off my Linux machine at night, turn it on again in the
>	morning.  It is now morning.  "I" am still a member.  My
>	browser is firefox; yes, I know how to press the Reload Page
>	button.
>
>	But just to clinch it: I just accessed the admin page with
>	lynx(which is almost always my browser of choice, since I am
>	a dialup person, using my trusty US Robotics Sportster modem<g>).
>	And there "I" was, still subscribed.
>
>I would like Brad and Mark and anyone else's considered judgment that
>whatever is running at PatriotNet, it ain't mailman as we know and
>love it<g>.   It sure seems hosed to me.

You still haven't absolutely ruled out Brad's suggestion that the page
is cached in a proxy server at patriot.net, but at this point, it does
seem increasingly unlikely.

Your OP said

>So: this afternoon I unsubscribed myself, using lynx, from one of my
>other addresses, because a member had written there was a problem.
>And my "unsubscribe" seemed to go through, and I got, at this address,
>a message from mailman-bounces that indeed "I", at my other address,
>had been removed . . .

It is hard to imagine how that owner notification of the unsubscribe
was sent if it hadn't actually been done.

You also said

>I can test my E-list in various ways, because I'm subscribed from
>a couple of addresses, in addition to adminning it from the E-address
>you're getting this from.

Are you certain the address you unsubscribed is the EXACT address you
still see on the membership list?

What happens if you check the 'unsub' box on the membership list and
'submit'? And, is that address still recieving list mail?