[Mailman-Users] Case-Sensitivity Problem?

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Wed Dec 13 21:03:37 CET 2006

At 2:00 PM -0500 12/13/06, Ryan Steele wrote:

>  Here is an excerpt from the mail header:

>>  From: FOO at aol.com
>>  Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 09:41:42 EST

What was in the "To:" header?  What about the envelope sender?  Note
that this is usually recorded as the "Return-path:" header, or in
what is sometimes referred to as the "From_" header.

>  And here is a message from Mailman's bounce log:
>
>  >Dec 13 09:42:38 2006 (2202) bounce message w/no discernable addresses:
>  <cef.43ab224.32b16b26 at aol.com>
>  >Dec 13 09:42:38 2006 (2202) forwarding unrecognized, message-id:
>  <cef.43ab224.32b16b26 at aol.com>
>
>  For whatever reason, Mailman treated the message-id that AOL gave it as
>  the sender address...thus causing the "Uncaught bounce notification"
>  error.   The actual bounce occurred because it was sent for moderator
>  approval due to the large number of recipients:

No, it seemed to recognize what the message-id header was, but there
was something else it didn't recognize.  That's what we need to
figure out.

I helped build the original versions of those machines at AOL, so I'm
pretty sure I know what they're doing.

>  Thank you for your insight about the RFC's though, Paul.  More
>  disconcerting is the fact that Mailman seemed unable to extract the
>  sender's email address from the bounce?  I'm running 2.1.8, if that's of
>  any concern to the devs out there...

We'd have to look more deeply at all of the headers that were
actually present, and then we'd have to look through the code paths
to see what might have resulted in that message.  Without the that
information, we'd just be taking shots in the dark.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad at shub-internet.org>

Trend Micro has announced that they will cancel the stop.mail-abuse.org
mail forwarding service as of 15 November 2006.  If you have an old
e-mail account for me at this domain, please make sure you correct that
with the current address.