[Mailman-Users] Case-Sensitivity Problem?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Dec 13 19:54:45 CET 2006

Ryan Steele wrote:

>I recently had a member (an administrator and moderator, no less) whose
>message was bounced.  Their moderation bit is not set, and in addition
>to being the list administrator, they are an undigested member.
>However, they recently had a message held for moderator approval.  I
>cannot seem to figure out why; my only rational explanation is that in
>the member list, they are listed as "foo at bar.com", but the headers from
>the email that this person sent lists the sender as "FOO at bar.com".
>
> From reading the docs, I thought that (for list membership purposes),
>the email addresses were case insensitive, thus complying with RFC 822.
>Am I misinformed?  If it helps, when the message was bounced, it was
>categorized as having an unrecognizable format and/or not containing a
>member address.  Here is the message the user/administrator received:
>
> >The attached message was received as a bounce, but either the bounce
> >format was not recognized, or no member addresses could be extracted
> >from it.  This mailing list has been configured to send all
> >unrecognized bounce messages to the list administrator(s).
>
>Again, the message headers contain:
>
> >From: FOO at bar.com
>
>And their email address, as listed in the web interface, is:
>
> >foo at bar.com

It is unclear to me how many issues you have, but here's what I can
tell you about the above.

Membership tests are not case sensitive.

The "The attached message was received as a bounce ..." message above
was sent to the list owner because the list's
bounce_unrecognized_goes_to_list_owner setting is Yes, and the post
that was bounced was sent to the listname-bounces at example.com address
rather than to the listname at example.com address.

You also say, "they recently had a message held for moderator
approval". In Mailman's 'vette' log, you should find the reason why
the message was held. What is that reason?