[Mailman-Users] A scrubber issue

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Sun Dec 10 03:35:09 CET 2006

Tokio Kikuchi wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'm OK with changing the recomposing part in Scrubber.py:
>
> if not part or part.is_multipart():
>      continue

> if part.is_multipart():
>      continue
>
> It looks like the email package is more robust than it was when the
> bug report was issued and the Scrubber code was patched.

Yay for increased robustness! :)

The Mailman README still says the base Python requirement is 2.1.3 or
above.  I saw in the comments of bug 1099138 that email 2.5 could
still produce None payloads.  Does that mean it's only save to omit
the "not part" test if the site's python install carries email 3?

> But as to the default charset is 'us-ascii' problem, if we put the part
> together the parts, some language text (like japanese) become
> irreversibly unreadable.  It is safe to keep it in a separate file if
> you can't archive the whole message in multipart like in Pipermail.

Okay, that's understandable.

> Additionally, the diff file which was said to be lost in the first
> post is in:
> http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/attachments/20061207/6bd11edc/attachment.diff
> I believe the folks in gnupg.org can fix the reference in the
> pipermail archive by fixing the PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL in mm_cfg.py and
> re-generating the archive by bin/arch --wipe command.

Yeah, there are a few issues with some of the list or site settings
there.  I will mention this to the list/site owner (who are both
pretty much just Werner - he's a very busy fellow!) and offer any help
I can to get that stuff straightened out.

Having the diff available that way would be better than nothing.
Though it still seems less than optimal to scrub it and make it an
attachment rather than display it inline like the content-disposition
header requests as it does seem to be quite valid by the RFC.

On the other hand, it might be easier to verify the sig if the diff
file is linked and downloaded so I should be careful what I wish for
here.  :)

Man has made use of his intelligence, he invented stupidity.
    -- Remy De Gourmant