[Mailman-Users] Mailman archive messages(not rm, but install!)

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Fri Dec 8 17:51:27 CET 2006

Paul Tomblin wrote:
> Oh right, now I get it.  I told you I didn't know Python, but I
> should have been able to figure that
>     def __init__(self, outfp, mangle_from_=True, maxheaderlen=78):
> meant that it defaulted to True in Generator.py so didn't need to be
> changed in Mailman.

:-)

I actually trusted the docs (which I probably shouldn't do).  But
you're right, the __init__ line confirms the default setting for
mangle_from.

>> In that case, shouldn't any message that reaches mailman with an
>> unescaped From_ line in the body already be handled properly?  It
>> seems like something else must be borked.  That or all of the
>> messages in a list mbox that contain unescaped From_ lines got
>> there from really old versions of Mailman/python.
>
> That is distinctly possible.  The archives in question go back to
> 1998.  I didn't keep track of when the *last* unescaped From_ line
> was put in the archives.

It still sucks that you have to muck around with the mboxes to get
pipermail to archive them properly.  I feel your pain.  I am currently
trying to get another lists archives into better shape and have run
into the same issue.

I'm seriously lacking in the skill to fix pipermail or I'd take Barry
up on trying to fix it.

An idea is not responsible for the people who believe in it.
    -- Anonymous