[Mailman-Users] Mailman archive messages(not rm, but install!)

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Fri Dec 8 16:51:17 CET 2006

Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Paul Tomblin wrote:
>
>>Quoting Barry Warsaw (barry at python.org):
>>>
>>> It already does escape From lines in the body of the message.  It
>>> does this by way of the email package's Generator class, which is
>>> instantiated with mangle_from_=True.
>>
>>Must be a newer version than the one in Debian stable.   I grepped
>>for "mangle" in /var/lib/mailman/Mailman/*, and didn't find it.  The
>>parameter does appear in /usr/lib/python2.3/email/Generator.py, but
>>since I don't know python I don't know how to pass it to it.  I'm
>>guessing it has something to do with changing the "g =
>>Generator(fp)" and "g = Generator(outfp)" lines in
>>Mailman/ListAdmin.py or more likely the "g = Generator(self.fp)"
>>line in Mailman/Mailbox.py?  Is it as simple as changing that last
>>one to "g = Generator(self.fp,mangle_from_=True)"?
>

> Yes it is.
>
> And I think Barry may have misspoken as I don't think that change is
> in the SVN trunk or Release_2_1-maint branch.

According to the docs for email.Generator, mangle_from defaults to
True and has since at least python 2.3.  So setting it shouldn't be
needed AFAICS.

In that case, shouldn't any message that reaches mailman with an
unescaped From_ line in the body already be handled properly?  It
seems like something else must be borked.  That or all of the messages
in a list mbox that contain unescaped From_ lines got there from
really old versions of Mailman/python.

You know an odd feeling?  Sitting on the toilet eating a chocolate
candy bar.
    -- George Carlin, Napalm & Silly Putty