[Mailman-Users] New Mailman Installation - Can't Send Email toaNewList(reformatted)

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Dec 4 06:20:21 CET 2006

Jeff Salisbury wrote:

>Mark,  Ok, I added these lines at the end of the mm_cfg.py file:
>
>    DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'www.domain1.net'
>    DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'mail.domain1.net'
>    VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()
>    add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
>    add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, 'mail.domain2.net')

This doesn't work. You can't have two different Mailman virtual domains
with the same web domain (url_host). The

    add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, 'mail.domain2.net')

entry simply replaces the

entry in VIRTUAL_HOSTS because they have the same url_host which is the
key in the dictionary entry so you wind up with with only the second
entry.

What this means is all lists created from the www.domain1.net domain,
at least via web create will wind up with mail.domain2.net as their
host_name. You may be able to work around this by changing (or at
least verifying) the host_name attribute on the list's admin General
Options page, but if you really have lists in domain1 and domain2, why
do you want to access the web interface via domain1 for all lists? Or
do you really want the second add_virtualhost to be

    add_virtualhost('www.domain2.net', 'mail.domain2.net')

>Then, I ran the command below that refresh the mailman system:
>
>    bin/withlist -l -a -r fix_url --
>
>Then, I verified that the file virtual-mailman had been populated.
>Looks good so far...

OK, but are you sure the lists are in the correct domains in
virtual_mailman. The above withlist command will put all lists in the
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST (mail.domain1.net) domain.

>Now, how do I restart or "refresh" the Postfix system?

If you ran bin/genaliases, that process should run the
POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD (default '/usr/sbin/postalias') and POSTFIX_MAP_CMD
(default '/usr/sbin/postmap') commands which update aliases.db and
virtual-mailman.db which should be all you need.