[Mailman-Users] Python Version Mismatch

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Aug 21 05:12:50 CEST 2006

Carolyn Van Slyck wrote:

>I am getting this email sent to me every 10 minutes and am not sure
>how to correct the problem.

I am puzzled. I am sure this is coming from Mailman's cron/gate_news
script, but that is run (at least by default) every 5 minutes, not
every 10.

>/var/mailman/pythonlib/japanese/c/euc_jp.py:3: RuntimeWarning: Python
>C API version mismatch for module _japanese_codecs: This Python has
>API version 1011, module _japanese_codecs has version 1012.
>  import codecs, japanese.c._japanese_codecs
>/var/mailman/pythonlib/korean/hangul.py:24: RuntimeWarning: Python C
>API version mismatch for module hangul: This Python has API version
>1011, module hangul has version 1012.
>  from korean.c.hangul import *
>
>I am running python 2.4.3.  I have tried deleting the korean and
>japanese pythonlib directories and then running make install again,
>then restarting mailman but this doesn't correct the problem.

Did you upgrade Python to 2.4.3 after installing Mailman on an older
Python? If so, starting with 'configure' followed by 'make install'
may help.

>I would appreciate any ideas for either fixing the issue or at least
>stopping the email warnings.

If the warnings are coming from the cron jobs, you can suppress them by
editing Mailman's crontab and adding a '-W ignore' option to the
python commands.

E.g. for a default crontab, you might have something like

0 8 * * * /usr/bin/python -S /var/mailman/cron/checkdbs

and so on for the others. You could change this to

0 8 * * * /usr/bin/python -S -W ignore /var/mailman/cron/checkdbs

and similarly for the others.