[Mailman-Users] Question About Re-generated Mailing Lists

William Yardley mailman at veggiechinese.net
Mon Aug 14 21:46:01 CEST 2006

On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 02:07:45PM -0500, Barry Finkel wrote:

> We have a number of non-subscription lists - the e-mail lists are
> re-generated each evening from an external database.  The persons on
> each re-generated list have no say as to their subscriptions to the
> list.
>
> With majordomo, we just build the e-mail list in a directory which we
> have defined in the /etc/mail/aliases.template file:
>
>      majordomo-zzz-outgoing: :include:filename
>
> Can we automatically re-generate a mailman mailing list?  I know that
> I can do Mass Removals and Mass Subscriptions via the web interface,
> but I want something that has no manual intervention.

Don't know if this quite meets your requirements, but you can do
$PREFIX/add_members -r somefile listname

(use - as the filename if you want to pass in addresses via stdin
instead of by giving it a filename). It will spit out an error if you
try to add an address that already exists. This might work for you, but
wouldn't deal with removing members too.

use "-w n" to not send a welcome message.

Maybe you could do something like:

$PREFIX/remove_members --all --nouserack --noadminack
$PREFIX/add_members -w n -r somefile listname