[Mailman-Users] message body is blank for some users

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Aug 4 01:56:11 CEST 2006

Heal Secretary wrote:

>The current filtering settings are -
>
>Should Mailman filter the content of list traffic according to the
>settings below? YES
>Remove message attachments that have a matching content type. BLANK
>Remove message attachments that don't have a matching content type.
>Leave this field blank to skip this filter test. BLANK
>Remove message attachments that have a matching filename extension A
>LIST OF EXTENSIONS - EXE ETC
>Remove message attachments that don't have a matching filename
>extension. Leave this field blank to skip this filter test BLANK

The net effect of the above is to remove all attachments with filename
extensions equal to one of the extensions in the list.

>Should Mailman collapse multipart/alternative to its first part content? YES

This could affect your issue. You could try setting it to No. When it
is set to yes, Mailman will replace a multipart/alternative part with
text/plain and text/html sub parts with just the text/plain part. If
that happens to be 'blank' you will get the result below.

However, the original message you posted at
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2006-August/052525.html>
was not structured in this way. It was a simple text/html message.

>Should Mailman convert text/html parts to plain text? This conversion
>happens after MIME attachments have been stripped. NO

I'm surprised because 'Yes' combined with other problems seems to me to
be the most likely cause of this.

>Action to take when a message matches the content filtering rules.
>FORWARD TO LIST OWNER
>
>I don't know what half of these mean so I'm none the wiser.
>If you think it would be a good plan I can turn content filtering off
>altogether and ask Jonathan to send a new message......

That will allow everything to pass through Mailman as sent. Whether or
not this is a good idea depends on whether you want to filter the
attachments with matching file name extensions.

I would try setting collapse multipart/alternative to No first.

>Here's one of Jonathan's mails that was sent to the list with a blank
>body (between asterisks)

> From ???@??? Wed May 31 19:18:38 2006
>From: "Jonathan" <Jonathan's email address>
>To: activists at healheadingley.org.uk
>Bcc:
>Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 20:23:10 +0000

So it was manipulated by content filtering.

>Subject: [activists] Transport through Headingley

And content filtering converted it to a single text/plain part either
by collapsing a multipart/alternative part to the first subpart or by
converting an html part to plain text.

We think the second thing didn't happen because
convert_html_to_plaintext is No. The first thing is not consistent
with the message you posted earlier, so only further testing will tell.

Test 1 - set collapse multipart/alternative to No and see what happens.
If the post is still blank,

Test 2 - set filter_content.to No.